Reports to: Corporate Director of Sales and General Manager
Are you connected? Socially. Professionally. Do you have a stable of clients who are your friends? Are you a storyteller? Do you get satisfaction from driving revenue for your business, creating an online buzz and orchestrating amazing moments? Are you fast on your feet, have a gift for gab and an eye for detail? Discover 551 Ponce, Atlanta’s newest lifestyle hotel in the heart of Atlanta’s Old Fourth Ward.
We consider ourselves the guide and our guests are our heroes! We celebrate and support them all while sharing our unique story. Our personality, narrative and services are specifically designed to provide the ultimate experience for our guests. We need you to communicate our uniqueness to our clients, while booking business and generating interest for our hotel in the neighborhood, the city and from our key feeder markets.
Our ideal sales leader is an engaging, hands on, fun loving, fanatic foodie, social influencer with a passion for people and a drive to fill the hotel. This pivotal role will implement the company’s hyper-local hospitality principles by understanding the community’s concerns and needs, while forging partnerships with local volume and catering accounts.
Who We Are
551 Ponce (a placeholder name) is an independent lifestyle hotel on the iconic stretch of Ponce de Leon Avenue, just blocks from the Ponce City Market and the Atlanta BeltLine. Channeling a history of hospitality, the hotel was originally built in the 1930s and opened as a 58-room hotel. The Garner-Wallace Hotel housed Mrs. P’s, the first openly gay bar in Atlanta, through the ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s. In the mid-1990s, MJQ nightclub by George Chang opened in its basement, making the hotel the cultural mecca for the Atlanta art and music scene. Purchased by Kim King Associates, a family-run, full-service real estate firm with a diverse portfolio, the hotel is being expanded and reimagined to tell the story of its authentic history while evolving to meet the more contemporary and sophisticated tastes of the Old Fourth Ward of today. Given its prominent location, the hotel will serve as a dynamic gathering point, where guests and locals blend seamlessly together. The hotel will be comprised of 112 keys and a distinctive Food + Beverage proposition that will extend past the neighborhood and make its mark on Atlanta’s culinary landscape.
The hotel will be managed by Mainsail Lodging & Development, which was founded in 1999 by Joe Collier and Juli Corlew. The duo has grown Mainsail Lodging & Development from one lodging complex to a multi-faceted portfolio which includes the upper upscale brands of Autograph Collection Hotels and Tribute Portfolio, in addition to vacation rentals and a corporate furnished housing business throughout the southeast. Driven by the belief that each of our hotels should have a compelling story and seamlessly intertwine with the local community, Mainsail has learned to deliver inspiring experiences while cultivating a passionate following of advocates in each of their destinations. 551 Ponce Hotel will be this and more!
Who You Are
Our candidate is an individualist, seeking to make a mark by engaging and securing business for the hotel.
The Director of Sales will actively seek group and transient opportunities, build rapport with clients, qualify their needs, sell the appropriate hotel services, book the business and secure the sale with contracts. Due to pre-opening environment, this manager will execute proactive total account development and management. Works with the VP of sales and marketing and corporate director of sales to develop and manage the hotel’s sales and marketing budget. Participates in revenue management strategies.
• Execute the sales strategy and ensure booking goals are met through direct sales efforts
• Ensure the development of a strategy account plan for the demand generators in the market
• Ensure focus is on proactive selling as well as reactive selling
• Review STR report, shopping reports and other resources to maintain awareness of the hotel’s market position
• Attend revenue meetings to provide input on weekly and overall sales strategy
• Work with VP of Sales and Marketing to develop/implement innovative marketing ideas and deployment strategies to grow market share
• Identify public relations opportunities and coordinate activities to augment the overall marketing communications strategy
• Create consistent content to be implemented in the hotel’s social media campaigns
• Execute and support Mainsail’s core values
• Perform other duties, as assigned, to meet business needs
Specific Sales Market Responsibilities
• Oversee and manage the group and transient business for the hotel
• Maintain current and accurate information on clients through databases and sources
• Define, develop and maintain contact with present and future clients to ensure repeat and new business
• Produce and deliver presentations as needed to clients and third party partners
• Promote and sell the hotel by participating in industry trade shows and sales trips
• Ensure successful performance by meeting and exceeding pre-opening budget, controlling expenses and providing a return on investment for the owner and investors
Education & Experience:
• 4-year Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Lodging sales experience in either lifestyle, luxury or upscale hotels and resorts
• Excellent customer service skills
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Working knowledge of social media in business applications
• Ability to effectively present information to individuals or groups
• Experience with Opera Sales and Catering preferred
• Proficient with Microsoft Office programs
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
• Ability to communicate clearly
• Ability to conduct site visits with potential customers
• Corrected vision to normal range
• Ability to drive/transport self and others
• Ability to travel, domestically and internationally
• Long hours sometimes required
• Make sound judgements quickly
• Work on multiple tasks, making appropriate progress towards deadlines
• Able to work independently, take direction and provide direction to others
• Manage differing personalities with the office, the hotel and the community
• Maintain the highest degree of confidentiality
• Ability to work effectively in stressful, high pressure situations
• Ability to effectively handle challenges in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems
**Please note, Mainsail is a drug-free workplace. Pre-employment screening, to include a background test and drug screen, is required for all candidates offered a position.
* Due to the economic impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus), Mainsail is encouraging persons who are interested in any of our open positions that match your skills, knowledge, and ability to apply. Although we are delighted in you applying at this time, we are, however, following the guidelines of the CDC whereby you may be called for a phone or video interview initially instead of in-person interview.
Please note, certain positions may have a delay in being filled due to this recent pandemic. Thank you again for your interest in applying to work at Mainsail. *
May 4, 2020