Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina is named after its location, a serene 230-acre private-island haven situated at the east end of Tortola in the British Virgin Islands. A luxury, AAA Four-Diamond hotel and the first member of Marriott’s Autograph Collection in the Caribbean, the resort is tucked into a rugged cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea and neighboring islands. It features 52 guest accommodations as well as a collection of two-, three-, four- and six-bedroom villas, the intimate Ixora Spa, world-class restaurants, two private beaches, on-site boutique, sundries shop with grab & go options, full-service provisions store and a 55-slip marina. The resort marina offers exhilarating excursions through Dive BVI, sailing certifications with Offshore Sailing School and is the base of operations for Dream Yacht Charter, the world’s leading charter company. Visit ScrubIsland.com to learn more.
The Pizzaiolo/Deli Chef is responsible for all food production in the Deli/Outpost. Develop menus, food purchase specifications and recipes. Supervise staff. Develop and monitor food and labor budget for the department. Maintain highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
Education & Experience:
- At least 8 years of progressive experience in luxury resort island operations or mainland luxury resort experience with a Deli outlet or a Pizzeria
- Comprehensive product knowledge is fostered in regard to ingredients, equipment, suppliers, markets and current trends and appropriate adjustments to kitchen operations are made accordingly.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including weekends, and late nights.
- Ability to communicate with guests, staff, management and leadership team.
JOB SPECIFIC TASKS
Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Assist in the supervision of the production of all food items, ensure the quality of the food is to the highest standard and timing is to the correct speed.
- Assist in establishing menu forecasts based on factors including house counts, business forecast and previous experience
- Assist in posting the menu forecast for all kitchen employees to view and checks understanding
- Supervise kitchen and use of all stations, ensure required standards for service are met
- Ensure all food production workers are performing duties as prescribed by quality standards established by the Executive Chef
- Maintain exemplary hygiene and safety standards in all food areas relevant to the kitchen department
- Check walk-in refrigerators and dry storage areas for cleanliness and orderliness and provide direction/takes action as necessary.
- Verify that all portion sizes, quality standards, department rules, policies, and procedures are maintained by kitchen employees.
- Assist with food cost control through effective management of food wastage and storage. Responsibility for food purchasing in the absence of the Executive Sous Chef.
- Act in accordance with all company and statutory requirements with regards to food hygiene and employee health & hygiene.
- Keep up to date records for compliance with health & safety regulations, e.g., food storage temperature controls.
- Assist the Executive Chef in identifying and implementing departmental training needs.
- Act as a role model to kitchen staff; demonstrates a positive attitude at all times and promotes mutual respect within the kitchen and through other relevant departments.
- Comply with all Company fire regulations and to adheres to the Company’s fire policy; remains alert to potential threats to life, safety and security with particular emphasis being placed on fire prevention, training / awareness, evacuation and emergency procedures.
- Ensure dress code is adhered to and personal hygiene and presentation is of the highest standard.