OVERVIEW: The Engineer position is responsible for assisting with and learning the skills to provide upkeep of the general property, its equipment, systems, rooms, furnishings interiors or exteriors of the hotel and provide proper guest services under the direction of Engineering Supervisor, Director of Engineering or General Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To continually support and improve engineering services that effectively address problems affecting both guests and associates.
- Guest Rooms – plunging toilets, unclogging drains, repairing all types of hardware, plumbing, electrical equipment including lamps, air conditioners, cosmetic items, replacing electrical switches and outlets and programming TV’s.
- Public Areas – plunging toilets, unclogging drains, repairing and/or adjusting all types of hardware, plumbing, electrical, HVAC equipment and cosmetic items.
- Fire Alarm/Life Safety System – to monitor systems as necessary, to be fully informed of the system operation and to handle emergencies involving the systems. To have a working knowledge of fire sprinkler and emergency power systems.
- Energy Conservation – to observe energy and utilities usage in the hotel and on the grounds. To look for ways to conserve energy and report any ideas to the Engineering Management.
- Tools – to clean, lubricate, protect and otherwise maintain all tools and equipment in the hotel. To see that all tools used are returned to the shop and secured in proper storage area. To protect and otherwise maintain your assigned tool pouch and its tools at the discretion of the Engineering Management.
- Emergencies – to be available for any emergencies and act in an engineering capacity to protect our guest and associates, and preserve the building and its systems during the emergency. To act as quickly and responsibly as possible to return the building to its normal operating status. To inform Engineering Management of any such emergencies.
- Accident Prevention and Safety – to be aware of all existing departmental Job Safety Analysis and to strive to work in an accident-free manner and to create a safe work environment for others. To continuously look for conditions which may endanger associates or guests of the hotel and to take immediate action to correct any hazardous conditions found.
- Records – to read, log, track and interpret readings from meters, gauges and other measuring units. To maintain a thorough log of each day’s activities and problems that occur and to ensure this information is passed on to other shifts.
- Departmental Duties – to clean all engineering areas as directed by Engineering Management. To work in a neat and efficient manner, keeping work areas clean and well organized. To serve as otherwise directed or needed to help maintain the effective and efficient operation of the hotel. This assignment shall be at the discretion of Engineering Management or the hotel General Manager.
- Complete all work assigned in a safe and professional manner.
- Maintain communications with supervisors to ensure that all needed materials, tools and supplies are available or on order.
- Follow up on any items that may be on back order.
- Keep supervisor updated on assignments.
- Provide training and technical advice to other engineers as needed or requested.
- Strive to become an independent mechanic, able to analyze problems and to formulate plans to get work done quickly with a high degree of quality.
COMPETENCIES – To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- The ability to work weekends and holidays.
- The ability to read, write and follow instructions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize time.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules (i.e., Lockout Tagout, JSAs), safety awareness information (such as MSDS) operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports, keep logs, and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively with customers and associates.
- Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences.
- Treats people with respect.
- Follows policies and procedures.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment.
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction.
- Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Meets productivity standards.
- Observes safety and security procedures.
- Uses equipment and materials properly.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, and talk or hear.
- The associate frequently is required to reach with hands and arms.
- The associate is occasionally required to stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and taste or smell.
- The associate must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, reasonable color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT – The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock and vibration.
- The associate occasionally works in high, precarious places and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold, and extreme heat.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.