About the location
Marriott’s Autograph Collection features a select group of upscale and luxury independent partner hotels, each with its own distinct personality, experience, style and features. Located in major cities and desirable destinations around the world, Autograph guests favor hotel stays that reflect their own unique and personal styles. Be a part of our team and deliver an innovative guest experience that resists predictability.
Located on its own private island in the pristine waters of the British Virgin Islands, Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina is a mixed use development including a full resort and residential / real estate component. See attached Fact Sheet and Brochure.
The Executive Director of Human Resources develops human resource policy and directs organization’s human resources activities and supports the General Manager in all decision relating to strategic, organisational, and operational people matters for a luxury hotel property. The role helps to drive organisational performance on the objectives of Quality (through effective recruitment, development, and engagement of capable and motivated team members), Performance (through robust performance management, reward and recognition), and Compliance (through compliant and efficient HR Operations, policies & procedures).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support and coach the leadership team in any organizational and people topics, to help them achieve their guest service and business objectives. Advises and assists senior management on human resources management issues.
- Maintain and develop a strong employer brand in the local market and beyond, implement effective and innovative search and selection for senior as well as volume recruitment through a variety of sources, as well as an effective on boarding process.
- Oversees employee-relations activities and programs including but not limited to employee counseling, interpretation of policies, new employee orientation, and employee recognition programs.
- Drive strong colleague engagement through employee communication and creative activities and events, and ensure proactive follow up on engagement survey results and ongoing feedback, handle staff grievance issues proactively
- Plan and implement an annual budget and manning guide, following up closely on personnel costs, and preparing local management reporting as well as corporate reports
- Hires, trains, supervises, motivates, and develops human resources staff; manages schedules and workflow, including recruiting, HR administration, and staff accommodation functions
- Additional responsibilities and tasks can be added at any time according to the needs of the business.
JOB SPECIFIC TASKS
Approach all encounters with employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
- Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which include wearing the proper dress code when working.
- Comply always with Marriott Brand standards and regulations to encourage efficient HR operations.
- Attend daily staff meetings and provide training on a rotational basis using the steps to effective training.
- Review all weekly/monthly schedules with HOD’s to ensure satisfaction of both employees and operation
- Maintain files of all employees up to date
Talent Management and Organizational Capacity
As a Business Partner to the hotel’s General Manager and trusted advisor to the management team, support the delivery of the business objectives of the hotel by locally delivering the strategic HR agenda focused on attracting, developing, engaging, and retaining talent, ensuring effective performance management, workforce planning, and ensuring efficient and compliant HR operations.
Employee and Labor Relations
Ensures all employees are treated fairly and with respect; builds rapport with employees by fostering an environment of open communication and spending time with employees on the frontlines; makes self available to all employees; celebrates the success of employees in a public way; works with Management to maximize employee engagement and monitor local labor environment to address issues as needed. Understands and ensures compliance with local labor laws.
Company/Brand Policy, Procedures, and Standards Compliance
- Ensures that corporate and local policies & procedures are communicated and implemented.
- Ensure an efficient and compliant HR administration according to Marriott/Mainsail standards and local requirements, including supervision of internal and external payroll services.
- Ensure compliance with local labour and immigration law and handle any legal issues including staff disciplinary actions.
Education & Experience
- Relevant university degree, e.g. in law, business administration, economics, HR management (Must have)
- A Master’s degree and/or a relevant professional accreditation would be a plus
- At least 8 years’ experience in HR management roles in the luxury hospitality industry, with at least 4 years of leadership of HR teams in an organization of a similar size (Must have)
- HR professional with a proven ability to successfully manage efficient and compliant HR operations including HR administration & payroll, and where applicable, staff facilities (such as accommodation)
- Ability to implement robust processes for recruiting, identifying and developing talent, managing performance, and delivering an engaging employee experience
- Ability to deliver a strategic HR agenda based on business objectives and competitive positioning
- Experience with budget and workforce planning
- Understanding of local labour and immigration law and local policies, regulations, and market practices
- Computer literacy (Excel/Power Point/Word), ideally including experience with HR information systems (Oracle, Success factors)
- Leadership skills, as a functional leader for HR and as member of the ExCom group engaging with all Directors and staff and having a strong impact on organisational culture
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Effective communication and listening as well as counselling skills
- Ability to engage, influence, and build relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Role model for integrity ensuring fair and transparent processes at all times and inspiring trust
- Working effectively in a diverse cultural environment (ideally having lived on different continents)
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and diplomacy
- Eligibility to apply for a work permit in the BVI