We’re looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our EPIC team! Do you think you have the right ingredients to add to the mix?
The food-focused Epicurean Hotel in South Tampa features a state-of-the-art culinary classroom known as the Epicurean Theatre; Élevage SoHo Kitchen & Bar signature restaurant; EDGE Rooftop Cocktail Lounge; Bern’s Fine Wines & Spirits wine shop; Evangeline full-service spa; and 5,200-square feet of flexible event space. The Epicurean Hotel was developed in collaboration with Mainsail Lodging & Development and the legendary Bern’s Steak House and is the first newly constructed hotel property in the United States to join the prestigious Autograph Collection® of Marriott International, Inc.
We’ve crafted a foodies paradise. A wine lover’s dream. A place for connoisseurs of life to come and indulge their appetite. Because there is no greater homage to life than to indulge in and explore all the flavors that it has to offer. If you share our passion, we look forward to hearing from you.
The Chef de Cuisine will lead the culinary team at Élevage SoHo Kitchen & Bar, Epicurean Hotel’s signature restaurant. The Chef de Cuisine position manages the kitchen staff in the procurement, production, preparation and presentation of all food service outlets in a safe, sanitary work environment that conforms to all standards and regulations. This position is expected to achieve profitable, competitive, quality products.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years of progressive management experience
- Minimum of 3-year experience in a hotel, and 3-year experience as a Chef de Cuisine is required
- Leadership skills to motivate and develop staff and to ensure accomplishment of goals
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints and deadlines
- Previous experience analyzing P&L statement
- Long hours sometimes required
- Medium work – Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Ability to stand during entire shift.
- Manage daily operations. Responsible for complying with company policies which include financial performance, effective food and labor cost control, guest satisfaction, personal development, procurement, community relations, equipment standards, and a high level of sanitation and safety standards (maintained by weekly inspections).
- Considered the highest-ranking chef within a kitchen and as a result plays an important role in menu development, food presentation, and kitchen operation.
- Coordinate meal preparation and service activities within the kitchen.
- Maintain the restaurant quality and reputation by monitoring the food that is served to customers
- Provide consistency and quality of sanitation and cleanliness through execution of the fundamentals, i.e., spot and heavy cleaning, rotation and proper storage of controllable, and through the motivation and development of the associates. Must comply with local, state and federal health and sanitation codes and is responsible for meeting those standards.
- Oversee the efficient distribution of all supplies and equipment to all food and beverage outlets.
- Promote sense of ownership towards use of all controllables and equipment. Ensure all silver is clean and in presentable condition.
- Constantly spot-check equipment for sanitation, safety and proper working condition.
- Assists in the inventory management and ongoing maintenance of hotel operating equipment and other assets.
- Oversee culinary operations with the support of the Executive Chef.
- Maintain and supervise good housekeeping practices in all food production areas, dish room, loading dock, walk-ins and freezers, and other assigned areas, strictly enforcing the “clean as you go” policy.
- Attend BEO meetings, as appropriate.
- Promote and maintain effective inter/intra-departmental communications.
- Listen effectively, anticipate and resolve problems as they arise.
- Embrace and teach empowerment principles to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Prepare weekly schedule and labor analysis, and payroll for all associates in the Food & Beverage area.
- Develop budgetary goals with superiors and monitor for results.
- Maintain accurate controllable checkbook controls for expenditures.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring and evaluating associates.
- Develop a departmental training program for associates to learn purpose and objective of minimizing controllable losses
- Enforce training and ensure safe work environment through the Job Safety Analysis, weekly sanitation inspections and follow-ups, loss prevention and quality assurance.
- Schedule and conduct monthly staff meetings
- Coach/Counsel staff members when necessary with guidance from Human Resources.
- Drive commitment to quality assurance, safe work practices,
- Maintain high associate morale throughout the working area
- Be familiar with the organization of the Hotel and know the function of each department.
- Attend staff meetings/training sessions as required by management
- Manage differing personalities within the kitchen, the hotel and the community
- Maintain the highest degree of confidentiality
- Ability to work effectively in stressful, high pressure situations
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
NOTICE: The hotel business functions seven days a week, 24 hours a day. All associates must realize this fact and be aware that at all times it may be necessary to move associates form their accustomed shift as business demands. In addition, this is a hospitality business and a hospitable service atmosphere must be projected at all times.